Sunday, January 20, 2013

Whistler Eats

I realize I'm in Italy right now, but it rained all afternoon yesterday and there's an 80% chance all day today, and it's supposed to rain the next three days, so I figured now would be a good time to write this post I've been meaning to do!
Though there's a ton of restaurants in Whistler known for different specialties, here are some of my favorite dishes/drinks! You can't go wrong with this list!


Crystal Hut Waffles
On the last day skiing, we took the last lift up Crystal Chair on Blackcomb Mountain to go to Crystal Hut for their infamous waffles. If you get a loaded waffle, it comes with syrup, strawberries and blueberries, whipped cream and chocolate chips. Seriously, this is the best end to a day of skiing, especially when you can sit on the deck and enjoy a view like this! 


A Traditional Caesar
A Caesar is a Canadian favorite, very similar to a Bloody Mary, but it's made with Clamato juice instead of just tomato juice. Clamato juice is a combination of tomato juice and clam broth. I'll be the first to admit that doesn't sound like something I want to drink, but trust me on this one, these spicy drinks quickly became my favorite way to enjoy après. The one from above is from Merlin's, but Dusty's, at the bottom of Creekside, is known for theirs! 
 
Nacho's from Merlin's
Normally, nacho's aren't very exciting, but these were voted the best in Whistler and are another delicious way to enjoy après. These are also from Merlin's at the base of Blackcomb, where you can sit on the deck and look up at the mountain. The portion is huge so if you're not starving, I'd suggest getting the size made for two people!
  
 Poutine
This is one of those dishes that neither sounds nor looks good, but if you're in Canada, it's a must-do. It's essentially french fries covered in gravy and cheese curds, and typically includes some sort of meat, like sausage. Even though it's a heart attack in a dish, it's none the less a warm, comforting, and filling way to end your day. Plus, you just skied all day! You deserve it.

  Beaver Tails
I remember the first time I told my friends I ate a Beaver Tail, they got grossed out, so I explained to them that it's just like an Elephant Ear! Apparently, they had never had either, and were further disgusted, until I explained to them what it is. It's simply deep fried dough covered in cinnamon sugar, though you can get several other varieties, like Nutella! There's a stand in the middle of Whistler Village where you can buy these, then walk around and enjoy the magical village. Obviously, it's finger licking good, as I couldn't wait to take a bite before having this picture taken. Oops!
  

Sake Marg's
Sushi Village is one of our favorite restaurants in Whistler, and though their sushi is amazing, they also have some yummy Sake Margaritas! Once again, putting sake in margaritas sounds a little crazy, but take it from me, a pitcher of these things wouldn't be the worst idea you've ever made. 
 
 Hot Chocolate
This one's pretty obvious, and can be bought just about anywhere, but you have to have it when you're skiing. Even better with some peppermint schnapps and a good view (the second picture is at Crystal Hut!) there's not a hot chocolate that will let you down. At the base of Blackcomb is a place called Porobello's, which has fancy hot chocolate (picture 3), and many varieties such as Red Velvet! Please and thank you!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment