Monday, February 4, 2013

Taverna del Campielle Remer

Though it's great to wander around and discover new restaurants, it's often difficult to avoid falling into tourist traps and discover the real gems of the city when many restaurants tend to look the same, advertise the same menu, and boast the same high prices.
Luckily, I had done some research ahead of time, and found a place called  
Taverna del Campiello Remer
The article strongly recommended going to this place during Apertivo (Italian version of Happy Hour) between 5:30-7:30. During Apertivo, you pay for your drink, then get to peruse a continuously refilled buffet of delicious Italian food. For 8 Euros, I got a perfectly light and sweet Bellini (apparently Bellini's originated in Venice... How have I not had one of these before?!), followed by an array of pastas, risotto, corstini and polenta.  Plus - no fee for sitting down!  
Talk about a good deal!
 Not to mention the ambiance was idyllic. It was hidden down an alleyway right along the Grand Canal. When we first walked up to the unamarked door, a lady standing outside said "You found it!"
She wasn't kidding - it's definitely hard to find!
It was the perfect place to relax after such a cold day. It's wood paneled ceilings, brick walls, lamps and candles made for the perfectly cozy dinner. We sat at a long wooden table with some young, local Venetians (always a good sign!), drank slowly and continuously refilled our plates.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I want to go here!! All of this sounds amazing. Your first hostel experience should be fine if you put in the time to find a good one. Ours was 15 euro and had a 97% rate on hostelworld so it was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so fun! I loved finding places like this when I was traveling. There was one tapas bar in Madrid (called El Tigre) that was kind of the same idea. Europeans have this concept down :)

    www.jbound.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to Madrid but I'm dying to go back this semester! If I do I'll definitely have to check out El Tigre! Thanks for the recommendation!!

      Delete